Losi 5ive Forum  

Go Back   Losi5iveForum > Losi 5ive Forum > Losi 5ive General Forum

Initial cost of getting into 1/5th scale

Discussion in Losi 5ive General Forum forum, started by crankestein.

Old 01-01-2016, 09:59 AM
L5F Senior Member

gasser is on a distinguished road

Initial cost really depends. I got lucky.

http://www.losi5iveforum.com/showthread.php?t=3221
Old 01-02-2016, 10:07 AM
L5F Senior Member

Art Henk is on a distinguished road

I always tell people $2000 to get into 5th scale.

That's $1500 for a new RTR, and then another $500 for support equipment like a charger, spare plugs, killswitch, and maybe a pipe.

Other than that, the stock truck is extremely capable, even when racing.
Old 01-03-2016, 10:23 AM
L5F Senior Member

gasser is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
What is this "budget" thing of which you speak?

Good luck with that...I'd spend less on a drug habit than I do on 5th scale.

Come to think of it...it's sort of the same thing!
I think the op is referring to just "ONE" truck. I've seen your collection and your TWO tracks. You got it real bad! lol
Old 01-03-2016, 01:04 PM
L5F Junior Member

anixie is on a distinguished road

In the final build of my 5B, just before I quit (and only a week later got a Losi) I spent roughly 5000 Euro.. Single car.......not counting all other pieces I ever bought. Just those in the car...
But then it was totally bonkers maxed out.

Which reminds me I paid less for my wife's car which is a pristine low mileage 6th gen Celica..... Go figure.
Old 01-27-2016, 10:50 PM
L5F Junior Member

El Heffe is on a distinguished road

I bought a used Baja for $400. (HPI not knockoff) It needed A LOT of work as it had been sitting for a long time. There are some good deals to be had if you're willing to do the work.

My Losi 5ive roller though was almost 3x that price, so it really depends what you're looking for as well as luck and timing.
Old 01-28-2016, 09:44 AM
L5F Senior Member

Burges is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Heffe View Post
I bought a used Baja for $400. (HPI not knockoff) It needed A LOT of work as it had been sitting for a long time. There are some good deals to be had if you're willing to do the work.

My Losi 5ive roller though was almost 3x that price, so it really depends what you're looking for as well as luck and timing.

My brushless 5ive with a Lehner and mgm plus all the unneeded (but very fun) upgrades I'm over 5k for sure. I do my best to not add up the numbers but thanks for the reminder guys.
Old 01-28-2016, 11:53 AM

GBonn007 is on a distinguished road

I started with my Losi 5T last August. I came from 8th scale nitro trucks to the big leagues. I bought my truck new for $1900 at the local hobby store. I saved money for about 18 months to be able to purchase it. I have about $2500 invested so far. I spent some that money on getting the proper tools. I look out for deals on DDM Deal of the Day, I look for lightly used parts on eBay, or sales had by online vendors. I have decided to replace parts as the break. Right now I am saving and researching for a new clutch and aftermarket pipe. For my bday, valentines, fathers day, and Christmas I ask for parts. So far that has worked out well, wife bought Dynamite stand and daughters bought Lockdown tires from Amazon when they were on sale.
Old 09-11-2017, 06:09 PM

aaron2u is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by crankestein View Post
So far I am in at $1,500 and thats me including some electronics coming from nitros etc. and taking advantage of some seasonal online discounts.

The truck is in stock trim and expenses keep piling up in spare parts.

What has been your initial expense/budget to say comfortably I got a 1/5th ride?
Costs of items you did not expect and all of a sudden you are over budget and the credit card is redlining...
I'll bite with this bump.

Nearly new, but used 29cc 5ive-T, $800 from a local who got it in a bundle.
included pipe, stock radio, basic tools, and some oval body I'll never use.

+$200 in Hitec Servos
-$20 for selling the stock radio
+$30 for updating to the B steering link.
+$20 to replace a broke front cage mount
+$33 to update to the B clutch housing and add the plastic support arm
+$40 to get to the recommended gearing (Stock Losi) and engine spacers.
+$60 for a kill switch
+$100ish for spare arms and such.
+$100 for dumb fees.

Switching to a Futaba 3PV with telemetry, already had. Also ditched the stock lipo for a racing 2s saddle pack from my 10th scale buggy days.

So about $1400 into what I consider a full race outfit. The stock 29cc 4 bolt engine is peppy enough, and the stock Losi tuned pipe really lets it breathe.

While $1400ish seems like a lot, that isn't much more than a racing 8th scale setup. I do need to invest in some of the super thick diff oils to keep working on setup though...

Oh, but teaching my fiance how to get faster than me... PRICELESS!!
Old 09-21-2017, 12:44 PM

ivexample is on a distinguished road

I initially started with a budget of $1k for an HPI Baja 5t back in 2010. As things started to break, I started collecting replacement parts as well as taking advantage of DDM's deal of the day and other online sales. Lucky for me I only spent what my cash wallet would allow so I've been good. After 7 years, I've acquired an HPI 5t, a 5SC, a 5b and a new member this year in the form of a Losi 5t. This hobby is definitely addicting especially if you enjoy wrenching on your cars. Lucky for me my 8 yr old daughter shares my hobby interest so I get to bash with her.