Losi 5ive Forum  

Go Back   Losi5iveForum > Losi 5ive Advertisers > TeamPhatdadRC

****Phatdad Losi CVD review****

Discussion in TeamPhatdadRC forum, started by ballsoutbaja.

Old 11-06-2012, 10:20 AM

ballsoutbaja is on a distinguished road
Default ****Phatdad Losi CVD review****

I wanted to give a huge shout out to Team Phatdad Racing for tackling the drive-train issues most of us have been experiencing, or will experience, on our Losi 5ives! The drive cups and bones.

Iíve been limping my 5ive for the last couple of weeks by rotating stock pins and dealing with a bent stock dog-bone. I felt it was time to save up to get the last set of bones I would have to purchase for my 5ive! I know thatís a fact not only because Iíve been running 2 original sets of 4mm Team Phatdad bones in both my HPI Baja 5B and 5T for the past 3 years but these are made out of heat-treated 300m steel!

While I was at it, I decided to replace all my outer cups with Team Phatdad goodness as well. Just like the bones, Iíve been running the same set in my HPI Baja 5T and have very little wear after 3 years of bashing and racing with some of the hottest motors on the market! Again, made out of 300m heat-treated steel and these have a Life-time replacement warranty so it just made since to snag them up as well!

What youíre looking at is heat-treated 300m steel which Phatdad has transformed into a race-able, bash-able, product for use on our 1/5th scale Losi 5ives. Heís taken his years of experience in 1:1 off-road racing and thrown it in our laps. 300m steel is used throughout the 1:1 world and has proven itself time and time again to be the ticket to finishing races and not getting the dreaded three letter acronym Ė DNFÖ

A huge added bonus over the stock CVDs is that the Phatdad cups come with boots. The stock CVDs arenít able to accept boots but Team Phatdad was set out to create the best product $$ can buy and took it a step further by incorporating the boots which drastically improve the life-span of the pins and CVDs themselves. Now you can pack the CVD ends with grease and maintain smooth action throughout the weekend and longer. This is the first time I have gotten my hands on Phatdadís Tacky grease and slapped some of that on the CVDs as I built them. Like he says in the packaging, ďA little goes a long wayĒ. I only coated the CVDs with the grease but the again, the nice thing is you cover them with the boots and keep the dirt and mud out!

Here are a few pictures I took while installing my new Phatdad Losi 5ive bones and cups. As you can see, itís pretty straight forward and everything fits like a glove.

As Iím sure youíve noticed, Iím running the Hostile Racing Products rear carriers. There have been no issues with fitment of the CVDs, cups or boots. Actually, after playing around with everything, Iím going to have a very smooth and functional set-up! NO drive-train DNFs for me..

This thread is intended as a review after Iíve ran them for 4 days straight at the West Coast Nationals in a week but I simply couldnít keep myself from letting you guys know my initial impressions!

The Team Phatdad HPI Baja line of bones and cups have been a key factor in me taking home 3rd in Sportsman Buggy and 2nd in Sportsman truck at last yearís West Coast Nationals. This year they got me 4th in both buggy and truck expert classes at the West Coast HPI Baja Nationals. These are the same bones/cups Iíve been using in the dunes and bashing over the past 3 years! Iím sold on Phatdad products and I honestly believe that I will have the same results, and hopefully better, from these new Losi 5ive cups and CVDs!

Thanks for taking the time to read the thread and again, this is just the beginning of my review as I fully intend to report my findings after the Nationals and to back them up with pictures!

Thank you Tom and everyone involved with Team Phatdad Products. Let the thrashing begin.

BallsÖÖÖÖÖÖ.Out
Old 11-06-2012, 02:55 PM
L5F Freak

RDucky47 is on a distinguished road

Looks great Derrell, I'll have to look into them. Good luck at nationals, let us know how they hold up
Old 11-06-2012, 03:26 PM

You got it my man! Thanks for the luck, I'll need it this year.... Racing against some of the big boys this time.
Old 11-08-2012, 06:21 AM

Jones Auto is on a distinguished road

Derrell what are you using for replacement boots? Are they Hostile?
Old 11-10-2012, 02:26 PM

Medic860 is on a distinguished road

Jones, i cut down some Hostile grey boots. I cut them after the 5th rib. The pictures are not the greatest, but you should help guide you to get the proper fit. Notice the pen tip is where i made the cut. Leave some excess and then trim them up.

Old 11-11-2012, 06:17 AM

Jones Auto is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the info bro.
Old 11-11-2012, 08:33 AM
Contributor Losi

auto2 is on a distinguished road

i want these so bad and dont care about the cost but im not using my 5ives's much anymore. no one to race with and no time to drive out to jones track:-( i may have to take a few days off and escape!
Old 11-12-2012, 05:10 PM

MattDub is on a distinguished road

We had four trucks at the Nats running the new phatdad axles and drive shafts and they were great. Boots stayed on perfectly and replaceable pins were great. We ground the pins in the center with a dremel and grinding wheel. Made kind of a crescent moon divot in the center of the pin where the set screw secures. Also used red locktite on the set screw.

I'll leave the rest of the details for Darrel. Great hanging with you Man.
Old 11-13-2012, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattDub View Post
We had four trucks at the Nats running the new phatdad axles and drive shafts and they were great. Boots stayed on perfectly and replaceable pins were great. We ground the pins in the center with a dremel and grinding wheel. Made kind of a crescent moon divot in the center of the pin where the set screw secures. Also used red locktite on the set screw.

I'll leave the rest of the details for Darrel. Great hanging with you Man.
Thanks Matt! You were awesome out on the track man. Damn near like watching a master paint a canvas out there.... I'm going to have to retrain my Baja 5B as I think it's got your 5Bs rear end imprinted in it. 2 laps on me and I came in second.... Damn man!

Anyway, back on subject. I still haven't unloaded my rigs from the trailer but I'm planning to do that tonight after I get off work today. First thing on my list is to pull the Losi out and tear it down to take some pictures for you guys. I was talking to Phatdad all weekend about these CVDs/cups and here's where I'm at with them;

I love them!
You will love them!

Look guys, it dosn't get any simpler than this: None of the KCRP crew broke, bent, or had any issues with the Phatdad CVDs or cups! Either they took home 1st or put a beating on thier rigs and made everyone else work for their positions! They ran them hard!

As for me and my review, the pictures will tell you the same thing when I post them up. After 4 rounds of qualifiers, 15 minute B-main, practice and tuning, they held up great! Yup, B-main for Mr. Ballsoutbaja but all that meant was I put these CVDs through a hell of a lot trying to push everything to the max and make it to the A. But in the end, there were some really, really fast guys out there this weekend and I still have a lot to learn about driving this Losi!

As Matt stated above, we're pushing these kits as hard as we can. Most of them running Full Mod Reed Motors from OBR. I don't think any of us threw a pin but we quickly realized they were moving and as soon as we mentioned it to Mr. Phatdad, he started cutting a flat spot on the pins. We all followed his lead and did the rest of the pins as soon as we could. When we mentioned this to Tom, he said that it really wasn't cost effective for him, or us, to have them done where he gets the pins from and keep the cost down. So, it is his suggestion that if you are running his CVDs and having issues with pins moving on you, take a dremel and cut a little flat spot or divit in the center of the pins and use RED loctite to secure the set screw.

Other than that, I personally screwed up a pair of front boots. When I installed them, I put the end of the boot between the 2 knarled spots on the bone as I do with my Phatdad Bones on the 5T and 5B. Well, with the steering on the Losi, it was too much for the boots. Both of them split right at the end of the cup. I showed that to Tom and he quickly pointed out that I needed to have the end of the boots before the 2 knarled spots. Once I replaced the boots with a couple new ones, I haven't had an issue!! My bad, thanks for having a second set of boots on hand Phatdad!! Whew...

Alright, that's it for now. I will post pictures of everything I have mentioned above. You will see what they look like first hand and without modifications to anything. I didn't re-grease anything during the weekend. Simply used the Phatdad ULTRA Sticky grease during install and that was it. Pics will speak for themselves.

Thanks for reading.

Balls..................Out

Last edited by ballsoutbaja; 11-13-2012 at 10:45 AM.
Old 11-13-2012, 01:58 PM
L5F Freak

RDucky47 is on a distinguished road

Nice write up, looking forward to the pictures, happy nationals went well for you.

Any guess as to how many stock cvd's were broken across the weekend?